The Greens are the breakthrough story of this election.
I want to make sure you’re the first to understand how significant these results are—and that we couldn’t have achieved them without your support.
Yesterday, the Greens won the balance of power in the Senate, as well as our first lower house seat at a general election in Melbourne. We’ve achieved so much together this election that it’s hard to quantify, but here are some numbers that tell part of the story:
- We won a Senate seat in every State, including our first ever Greens Senators in Queensland and Victoria. This gives us the power to shape the agenda of the new Government and achieve real outcomes on issues like climate change, a fair go for asylum seekers, same sex marriage, and improving public schools and hospitals;
- Our first ever lower house Greens Member of Parliament has been elected in a general election – congratulations to Adam Bandt who won the seat of Melbourne with a massive 13% swing to the Greens on primaries!
- More than 4,500 of you signed up online to volunteer over the course of the campaign – knocking on doors, handing out how to votes, holding Greens stalls and events, and much more;
- Together, we raised more than $300,000 from small online donations to run our fantastic, positive campaign advertising on TV, on billboards in capital cities, in major newspapers, and to build the biggest online advertising presence we’ve ever had; (with special thanks to the talented creative team at Make Believe for all their work on this campaign)
- More than 20,000 people became Facebook fans of the Greens– and dozens of State and local Facebook groups sprung up to spread the Greens’ message online
For me, as Campaign Manager, the last few months have been both exhilarating and exhausting. What’s kept me going is the knowledge that you – the people out there reading these emails – have been working tirelessly in your own communities.
You’ve shared the Greens’ positive vision for Australia with your neighbours, your colleagues and your families, and that’s what’s led to these stunning results.
You are the heart and soul of the Greens.
Having the balance of power in the Senate from July 2011 isn’t a magic wand, but it does mean we’ll be in a powerful position to make legislation better, introduce new ideas to the Parliament and push both sides of politics to deliver smarter, more constructive and progressive outcomes for our nation. The results of this election won’t be clear for another few days – or even weeks – and the Senators and I will be in touch with the latest developments.
But for today, I just wanted to say thank you.
You’ve believed all along that we can make tremendous change to Australian politics, and yesterday, your votes created a powerful change in the Parliament. It is truly an historic achievement for the Greens and it has been my absolute pleasure and privilege to be a part of it.
National Campaign Coordinator
P.S. If you aren’t already, now is the perfect time to become a member of the Greens.
You can join online here
and become formally part of Australia’s third biggest political party. Thanks for your support!
* Donations over $2 and up to $1500 per annum are tax deductible.
Authorised by Derek Schild, 8-10 Hobart Place. Canberra
If you received this from a friend and want to sign up to campaign emails from the Australian Greens click here.