WECA announced yesterday that the 7th Kurilpa Derby will dtake place on Sunday 7th September. The Derby is West End’s celebration of the lives lived on wheels.
Across the last six years:
- over 10,000 Westenders have participated in this event.
- we’re very proud to report that the event has been without incident for the duration.
- we’ve never had to make a claim against our full insurance cover.
- it has always been fully permitted and lawful under full insurance coverage.
- professional organised, always included qualified medical personnel and responsible volunteers.
- children that participated in our first Derby are now adults themselves and some have children of their own that they bring to the celebration.
- we’ve been featured in the Weekend Australian magazine, covered by each TV news channel and all local newspapers.
- Wheeled glory including wheelchairs, bicycles, skates, skateboards, wheelchairs, carts, or wheeled creations
- Brisbane Hardcourt Bikepolo
- Brisbane Skateboarders Assoc
- More event demonstrations to be confirmed and announced closer to the day
For those new to the neighbourhood, the afternoon consists of two parts:
a) The parade will assemble under the Dornoch Terrace bridge on Boundary Street from 1pm, departing at 1:30pm.
b) The festivities are booked for 2pm-5pm down in the road closed section of Boundary Street between Vulture and Russell Streets. Vehicles will not be allowed in that road closed section between 1:30-5:30pm. Shops, restaurants and cafe will be open.
WECA events are queer, family, pet and children-friendly. Everyone is welcome to join with us in celebrating the values of 4101 in an atmosphere that is fun, safe and magical.