The ongoing Catastrophe in the Arctic is NOT being reported in mass media.
The Arctic ice coverage is already DRAMATICALLY DISAPPEARING.
At the current melt rate the ice will be completely gone within a year or two.
The heated arctic ocean will cause the release of more methane from clathrates.
The amplification will intensify.
Methane concentrations are much higher in the Arctic, combined with practically no aerosols.
Much of the Arctic shows methane concentrations of more than 2000 ppb today.
The total greenhouse gases locking heat into the Arctic cap of the planet are on the order of 600 ppm CO2 equivalent & accelerating.
The Arctic is the proverbial “canary in the coal mine”.
The total heat trapping gases in the Arctic are now at a 500ppm CO2 equivalent, and NOT at the 400 level.
If Methane release over the arctic is accelerating now, what happens this summer?
Or next year when the summer arctic ice will almost surely be completely gone?
The thickness of the arctic ice has declined even more dramatically than the total square mile area of decline.
Therefore, a total elimination of Arctic ice will happen much faster than expected.
1) WE ARE WELL PAST THE TIPPING POINT!
2) 500ppm CO2 EQUIVALENT in the Arctic is already here.
3) The 2013-2014 winter melting of Arctic ice is a sign that the tipping point is past.
4) Arctic Methane release will increase & very probably explode over the next two years.
5) It is highly doubtful that humans & Geo-engineering will be able to mitigate, never mind stop, the Arctic Methane explosion.
6) The Arctic Methane amplification will feed on itself increasing the rate of release in a runaway fashion.
Thousands of square miles of ocean spouting Methane into the atmosphere, can be considered an insurmountable & fatal state of disaster.